Diary of Seoul.

Saturday, November 8, 2008

First days in Seoul

After getting off the plane I realized two things 1) it smells really different here and 2) I am a monster of a human being. During the line at customs and immigration at Incheon airport I was really fidgety as a result of the caffeinated drinks I had during the flight. In one of my many fidgets I turned around and knocked over a small boy and his mother was pushed aside. I was absolutely sorry for what I had done but I realized this is probably going to happen to many of the Koreans I meet until I lose a hundred pounds. My self esteem will definitely take a hit being here…
For those of you who are familiar with my being detained experiences will find it surprising that I was not questioned at all….by anybody!!! NO ONE STOPPED ME IN KOREA! No interrogations, no searches, no other rooms with bright lights, this must be how it feels to travel like a white person…
Seeing someone waiting for you with your name on a placard makes me feel good, especially since my names where spelled right. However, he didn’t speak that much English, so it was a lot gestures and make doings while we were in the car. However, I did get him to sing a Korean song for me! Karaoke culture…I love it…
He drove me to the school where I will be spending the next year of my life and I was allowed to make a few calls, I called my parents to let them know there boy was there safe and called my buddy in Japan so he could expect me relatively soon. (I am going to Japan in a few weeks!!!)
The school was colored like a child pediatrician’s office. Bold, primary colors painted ever doorway and wall. I met the faculty I will be working with and guess what, 5 minutes into meeting them one them professes that he is bipolar. Which is fine with me, but why tell me in 5 minutes into knowing me?? Weird guy but seemed nice, he followed up by also telling me he just got he has been there for 5 days and he just got fired. (Damn.) I asked why he got fired so quickly. Too which he replied,
“I’m bipolar.”
I found later am actually his replacement…awkward…
All in all they seem to nice albeit crazy group of people and I feel comfortable around them, which is very important to me. One specifically took me out to dinner, his name is Eddie. Now as a result of the language barrier and my dietary restrictions (no pork, alcohol, cats, etc) we needed to find a suitable place to dine. We looked like fools trying to convey to waitresses that we want beef or chicken and not a pig. “Moo” and the chicken dance seemed to only generate puzzled expressions. It took us an hour to find a place that served chicken. We ate what was referred to us as chicken…but it definitely didn’t taste like chicken. I think I may have to just eat fruit for the time being. You cannot screw up fruit…I hope…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home