Diary of Seoul.

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Korean Symbol of Strength


Upon arrival, before checking in to the ‘love motel’ my first “welcome to Korea” moment came when I saw a giant silver fully virile phallus standing firm as soon as you leave Incheon International Airport. I guess I’m gay because I stared at this giant penis until it couldn't anymore. I tried to ask my driver what it was but he spoke little English so I was left to create my own answer. Considering the stereotypes surrounding Asian males regarding there penis size I think this statue is an expression of their masculinity. Korea is a still a predominantly patriarchal society and the strength and prowess of the male is very important. Seeing as it is located as soon as you leave the INTERNATIONAL airport, I think this erection is an attempt to do away with that unfortunate stereotype. I should do more research about what exactly it is but I do not have time. Still, it was a very funny "huh?" moment. I would have many more of these types of moments in the coming month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home